Thursday, April 2, 2009

An Age of Technology
I have always been a "gadget guy." I love to always stop in at Brookstone and see what is new. I can't tell you how many "bluetooth" products I have purchased and I am always wanting the newest cell phone. I have friends that actually think I have a vested interest in Google because I am always utilizing their newest tools. I have become a High-Definition TV snob, I am addicted to Tivo (have been for years...and Tivo is better than regular old DVR) and I am one of the few, unfortunately for Sharper Image, that actually purchased the iJoy Massage Chair. In fact, just tonight, I bought a gadget allowing you to turn on/off your lamp with the flick of a wireless switch...and it worked!

Technology is impressive, and I am not talking just about the toys.

This past week Heather and I took advantage of the opportunity to get a first glance at Baby Girl Sher. How awesome it was to see the vivid images from the 4d Ultra Sound. We promptly emailed a few of the pics to the grandparents so they could enjoy them as well.

In a not as fun, but just as impressive setting; Heather's dad, via a Pet and CT Scan, became aware that his cancer had spread to a couple of spots in his spine. As a result, Jim immediately began Radiation Treatments this week. Short, but intense, doses of radiation will hopefully reduce these spots and eliminate the pain that he has been suffering in his lower back.

Also taking place this week was Heather's mom completing her last round of chemo. Karen, like Jim, is set to begin radiation, but probably not until the end of this month.

How cool is technology? It can show us glimpses of the future through things like ultrasounds. It can show us what is causing pain in the present, through PET Scans. It can fight vicious diseases like cancer through radiation. It allows us to be able to communicate instantaneously, shop at our fingertips, and predict the weather (well, maybe that's taking it too far.)

But as hip as technology is, we must be careful that it does not become our source of hope. Now, don't get me wrong, I want the radiation to take this cancer by the horns and....but I am not going to just sit back with my fingers crossed. Rather, I believe (and pray) that this radiation will do what the 22 rounds of chemo did not; shrink these tumors. You see I like technology, but my Faith is in God.

We have been overjoyed, that by God's grace and power, the 13 months of chemo therapy prevented the tumors in Jim's body from growing; however, our prayer is bigger than that. We still firmly believe that God's will is for healing, so our expectation is nothing less than for Him to heal Jim and Karen's bodies. I hope you will join with us in that prayer for healing. (Maybe you can set up a prayer reminder via Google Calendar.)

2 comments:

Mom to Four said...

Will definitely continue to pray for your entire family. What a blessing technology can be-I bet seeing Baby Sher in a new way was amazing. We had so much fun spending time with you all-guess we need to make a trip to Tulsa a little more often. Thanks for your kind words in your blog-we find the two of you to be quite remarkable!
Love all 3 of you!

Brklacich Family said...

Congratulations on Baby Girl Sher! I will continue to pray for you family.

Peeps