Monday, April 20, 2009

Not Everything You Read on the Internet is True
One of my favorite quotes comes from the American version of "The Office." The goofy and ignorant Regional Manager, Michael Scott, makes the comment about how he loves Wikipedia because anyone can make an entry about anything, therefore it has to be accurate.

The irony in such a statement is that we all, for so many things in life, rely on the internet. In business we can keep an eye on the stock market, participate in on-line banking, and exchange communication through email. For entertainment we can go to ESPN, read blogs, check local movie times, or even download the movie itself. The internet has truly changed the way we approach our day. In fact, with the convenience of online headlines we have witnessed the downfall, and fate, of many newspaper companies. And as I have previously stated on this blog, I am a huge fan of Google.

But such endless amounts of information must be treated with extreme caution. The simple fact that anyone can post information about anything leaves room for vasts amount of misinformation. I warn you of such, as I was recently a victim myself this past weekend.

With Baby Sher's arrival soon approaching it was necessary to get a little paint on the walls of the nursery. When inquiring with Heather as to what color we would paint, she indicated to me that she wanted a diamond pattern placed on the wall, something she referred to as Harlequin Diamonds. Something I had never even heard of, nor knew nothing about.

So the Googler that I am, I went right to the source. I typed in "How to" and "Harlequin Diamonds", of which I got a couple of hits. Trusting the wisdom provided by these sources, I purchased the two colors of paint, and began following the instructions. Quickly I realized, however, these instructions could not be complete, nor accurate...to which I confirmed about 4.5 hours later.

According to the instructions all you needed was your paint, level, and some tape. Well actually, you need a ton of tape, meticulous measurements, and an immense amount of sanity/patience. Moreover, you need a second person, as this task was impossible to do on your own. Luckily I had the help of a good friend, Jake Cain. Jake came over about 2:00, and 4 hours later, we were still working on getting the first diamond laid out. Without boring you with the detail, another 8 hours went by and we finally had the wall taped for the first set of diamonds. Things went much smoother after we figured out what the heck we were doing.

Now of course, I was smart in my approach, as I attempted this monumental task on a weekend that Heather was out of town. She was being pampered by some of Mom's good friends in her first baby shower. Thanks Ms. Drennan, Ms. Quinn, Sarah, Aunt Sharri and Jill for hosting this event! So by Sunday evening, I was able to unveil the results to Heather. I have attached a few pictures for you as well.

I am sure this is only the beginning of the "challenges" that are to come with the arrival of Baby Sher. Good thing for me I can always turn to the Google for all my answers!

7 comments:

T-Craig said...

You are a glutton for punishment!

Mom to Four said...

Way to go Rob!!!!! Looks amazing! So are you going to add a little "how-to" the correct way for other dads doing a little google search.
Smart guy for doing this while Heather was away ;) but i missed seeing you.

Kelly said...

WOW Rob...that's impressive! What a sweet nursery.

Unknown said...

Rob and Jake,
I am impressed. Congrats again on Baby Sher. What an awesome nursery.

The Goodnights said...

How sweet are you to do this as a surprise. It looks so perfect. Now all you need is that baby girl!!

TheRays said...

I love the room!!! Good job Rob:-)))

Margo! said...

Ok this is the best nursery ever!!! Baby Sher is oh so lucky!! Rob can I trade you a haircut to do this for baby Kindred in about 5 years??? :) You need to send these pics to a magazine--its amazing!! Margo Kindred

Peeps