Saturday, May 2, 2009


Stop Looking at My Twitter!
Today, at the office, I was asked about Twitter. And you know, had I been asked last week, I would have simply looked at the person inquiring, dumbfounded, and told her that it was probably inappropriate for her to be talking to me about my twitter, and such conversation could possibly be considered sexual harassment.

But to my credit, or discredit, I actually knew what she was talking about, and it had nothing to do with my body. Twitter, I have learned recently, is a micro-blog. (Oh, thanks Rob, that clears it up!) In fact, when one participates in Twitter (known as "tweeting") they are simply answering the question: "What are you doing" in 140 characters or less. You find folks you want to "follow" which consists of getting their updated tweets, and then others choose to follow you. That truly is all it is. So why all the rave?

Well, I can't really explain it. In fact, I was conned into joining by two of my friends just last week while I was in Los Angeles; but ever since then, I cannot seem to pull myself away from the concept. Some of my more recent posts have included:
* "Tonight I embark on my first parenting class...breast feeding 101. I am forecasting a 90% chance of awkward mixed with partly uncomfortable"
* "Getting ready for my basketball game tonight...high-tops, gym shorts, jersey, and ibuprofens"
* "Just arrived at LAX for our midnight flight; who flies this late?"
* "I have now had 4 chikfila sandwiches in 2 days...so i guess the diet is going well"

So shortly after joining, I quickly began thinking, who is going to want to follow me and why do I have this Twitter Account? Seriously, isn't it time for me to grow up? I mean what am I going to write everyday: "At work today," "Still at work," "Heading home from work." Riveting, right?

But then, not a moment too soon, I came across an Oklahoma Bar Association article that spoke about the great potential Twitter can have for professionals if used appropriately. As for the content of the article, well, I basically skimmed it, but just the fact that it was there gave me the confidence I needed to tweet away.

So for all those skeptics, don't knock it until you try it. And for those of you bold enough to join, come follow me on twitter. You never know, you may just catch me being full of twit.

1 comment:

Mom to Four said...

oh my-you make me laugh! I bet we can anticipate a lot middle of the night tweets once the princess arrives ;)

Peeps